As you may or may not know, we have twins. My husband and I worked very hard for a long time to get them. We went the infertility route and were blessed with a boy and a girl. They were 6 weeks early when they were born. I'm getting back to the reason for this posting . . .
Sew, friends of ours had a baby boy who was born 2 months early. Their son was born at 17 inches long and 3 lbs. 14 oz. That is the exact size our son was when he was born! They named him Reid. Very cute! I thought that he would need a quilt.
Sew here's my stab at a tutorial.
~This is for one block. I made 12 for my quilt.~
rotary cutter, mat, & ruler
sewing machine with a 1/4" foot & thread
fabric - a background and two main colors
From brown fabric
16 - 2 1/2" squares
2 - 2 7/8" squares
From green fabric
1 - 4 1/2" square
2 - 2 7/8" squares
4 - 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles
From multi-colored fabric
4 - 4 1/2" squares
1. Draw a diagonal line on all brown squares.
2. With right sides together, place a brown 2 1/2" square in the upper right corner of a multi-colored 4 1/2" square. Sew on the diagonal line. Trim excess, fold back, and press.
3. Repeat this process in the upper left corner. Do this for all four multi-colored squares.
4. With right sides together, place a brown 2 1/2" square on the left side of a green 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangle. Sew on the diagonal line. Trim excess, fold back, and press. Do this for all four of the rectangles.
5. With right sides together, place the 2 7/8" brown square on the 2 7/8" green square. Sew 1/4" on each side of the diagonal line. Cut apart on the diagonal line, fold back, and press. This will yield 4 - half square triangle sets.
6. Sew the remaining 4 - 2 1/2" brown squares to these half square triangles.
7. Then sew the yielded pieces from steps 4 & 5 together, fold back, and press.
8. Now you will have 9 - 4 1/2" square units. Sew them together like this.
2 rows like this one (above)
1 row like this (above)
9. Now attach the three rows. You have a 12" block. I made 12 blocks with 3 different colors. Arrange them however you like and quilt as desired.