1. You will need 1 - 4" colored square, 8 - 4" white squares, and 4 - 5" colored squares. Cut the 5" square in half on the diagonal. I like my triangles a bit bigger than needed.
You'll see why in a minute.
2. With right sides together, place a colored triangle on a white square as shown above. Sew a 1/4" seam along the pink side. It does not have to be even on the white square. You just need to have enough to fold over and trim it back to 4". See #4.
3. Trim the access.
4. Fold the triangle back and press.
5. Then shim the block back to 4".
6. Lay another colored triangle on the block as shown.
7. Press and shim back to a 4" square. Repeat this process so that you have 4 units like this one. These are your star points. The beauty of this block is that none of your sections have to be alike. In fact, the more wonky the better!
8. Now you basically have a 9-patch. Sew together in 3 rows. Then attach the 3 rows together.
And there you have it! A Maverick Star block! It is a fun block and a nice way to use up some scraps. Check back in later for a quilt with this block and some beautiful Flea Market Fancy!